The hadiths handed down from our Prophet (saas) openly refute those people who maintain that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will not come in this century but at some time in the future. For example, one hadith handed down from our Prophet (saas) makes it perfectly clear that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will come in the year 1400 (Islamic calendar),
"People will gather around Hazrat Mahdi (as) in the year 1400."
In his collection Master Said Nursi, the greatest Islamic scholar of the last 1000 years, also says that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear in 1400:
(The Companions)… SUPPOSE(D) A FACT THAT WOULD OCCUR ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED YEARS LATER to be close to their century…
The portents of the End Times revealed by our Prophet (saas) all began taking place one by one and one after the other as of 1400.
Hazrat Mahdi (as) is described as appearing in 1400 (Islamic calendar) in many hadiths handed down from our Prophet (saas), in the famous Letters of the great Islamic scholar Imam Rabbani, in the Sunan Abu Dawud, the most important Sunni work on the hadith, and also in the Barla and Kastamonu addenda by Master Said Nursi and in his sermon preached by him in 1327 (Islamic calendar) in front of the Omayyid Mosque in Damascus.
(For further detail on this subject, see:
And also the existence of hadith handed down from our Prophet (saas) and contained in the works of such great Islamic scholars as Imam Rabbani, Jalaladdin as-Suyuti, Ahmad Ibn Hanbal and Master Said Nursi which put the life of the Ummah of Islam as being up to the 1500s, is crystal clear:
"THE LIFE OF MY UMMAH WILL NOT EXCEED THE YEAR 1500."
Said Nursi also says the Ummah will live until 1506:
“…The first sentence indicates with the figure one thousand five hundred (1500) the final times of a group of fighters of Islam (people who work for Islam) in the end of time; and the second sentence indicates with the figure one thousand five hundred and six (1506) the date of the victory for Islam.
In page 33 of the Kastamonu Addendum, the Master says that Doomsday will take place in 1545. (Allah knows the truth.)
“A group from my community will remain in truth until Allah’s command.”
It is perfectly clear in the light of these authentic sources that the time of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) will not be in a century subsequent to 1400 (Islamic calendar). Such a claim would be groundless since the Ummah will live until around the 1500s and since all the portents of the End Times will take place in the century between 1400 and 1500. All Muslims must absolutely attach credence to authentic hadith handed down from our Prophet (saas) and the accounts of great Islamic scholars. By contrast, to ignore these portents we have listed below and that have all come about one after the other is equivalent to maintaining that one should expect them to happen again, one after the other. The fact is that these portents have already happened once, and in a given order. And this is sufficient for Muslims to realize that they are living in the End Times foretold by our Prophet (saas). To say, in the face of the hundreds of portents in question that have taken place, “the same portents must happen all over again” is definitely irrational and illogical. It is enough for a genuine Muslim to see that these portents have taken place once in the manner foretold by our Prophet (saas) to believe that we are living in the End Times and that, insha’Allah, Hazrat Mahdi (as) has come.
THE PORTENTS OF THE END TIMES THAT HAVE BEEN TAKING PLACE ONE AFTER THE OTHER SINCE 1400 (ISLAMIC CALENDAR) SHOW THAT HAZRAT MAHDI (AS) HAS ALREADY COME:
1. In the hadith our Prophet (saas) describes the portents of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) coming about one after the other like “the pieces of a necklace” and reveals that this is a certain harbinger of Hazrat Mahdi’s (as) appearance:
It is transmitted from Abu Hurayra (ra) that Rasulullah said:
And the portents in question really did start taking place one after the other, like the beads in a necklace,” from the year 1400 on. Those who deny that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear in 1400 are definitely unable to explain these portents of the End Times that have been taking place one after the other in this century.
2. A war between Iran and Iraq began in October 1980. This war is referred to as follows in the hadith:
"There will be rebellion in the month of Shawwal, talk of war in Dhulkada and war in Dhilhijja.”
The dates given in the hadith correspond to the phases of the development of the Iran-Iraq War: The first rebellion against the shah of Iran began on 5 Shawwal 1398 (8 September 1976). Full war broke out in Dhilhijja 1400 (October 1980).
(For full details, see:
There is total compatibility in terms of dates and events between the hadith and the Iran-Iraq War that began in 1980. The dates, events, location and duration in the hadith are all identical. It is therefore totally wrong to fly in the face of all this and claim that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear in a century subject to 1400. It is illogical to claim that such a war will break out again in another century when the Iran-Iraq War has taken place just as described in the hadith.
3. The Russian occupation of Afghanistan happened in 1979, corresponding to 1400 in the Islamic calendar, to the beginning of the 1400s, in other words. This occupation is described as follows in the hadith of our Prophet (saas):
"Pity poor Taliqan (a region in Afghanistan) that at that place are treasures of Allah, but these are not of gold and silver but consist of people who have recognized Allah as they should have. They are the companions of the Mahdi (as) of End of Times.”
This hadith draws attention to Afghanistan's material riches. Today, large oil deposits, iron deposits and coal mines that have not been commercially exploited yet have been detected there. The invasion of Afghanistan took place in 1400, in a manner in complete agreement with the hadith. Those people who maintain that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will not be coming in 1400 are therefore claiming that Afghanistan will be occupied in the same way at a later date together with all the portents thereof, a claim which is most definitely untrue.
4. The waters of the River Euphrates ceasing to flow is another of the portents of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as). The waters of the Euphrates have today been stopped by the dams constructed upon it, and the hadith has therefore come about.
"Soon the river Euphrates will disclose the treasure (the mountain) of gold, so whoever will be present at that time should not take anything of it."
How do those who maintain that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear in another century, rather than this one, account for this state of affairs? The water of the Euphrates have already been stopped once. According to the hadith it is the first stopping that matters. Any subsequent stopping of the waters is irrelevant in terms of the hadith having come about.
5. There were two consecutive eclipses of the Sun and Moon, 15 days apart, during the month of Ramadan in 1981 and 1982.
(For details see:
This extraordinary event is described, with timings, in the hadith of our Prophet (saas) as an important portent of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as). By Allah’s leave, it will be meaningless to wait for such a major event to happen twice consecutively in the month of Ramadan as described in the hadith in another century, because the portent will already have come about.
6. Our Prophet (saas) has described “THE SINKING OF AN ARMY ON THE DESERT SANDS” in the hadith as another portent of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as). The hadith openly state that an army will sink in the desert sands during a time of war.
...An army will be sent to him. These will be sunk while they are in the desert.
Following the American invasion of Iraq in 2003, the 60,000 Iraqi Army unit known as the Republican Guard and the 15,000 military unit known as the Fedayeen totally disappeared. Newspapers reported on this extraordinary phenomenon in reports such as “WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GUARDS? SADDAM’S JUNTA HAS VANISHED AND HIS PLANES HAVE BEEN DUG OUT OF THE SAND.”
(For details see:
Those people who maintain that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear at a later time, who claim that the time of his appearance is not this century, cannot possible suggest that such an extraordinary phenomenon will ever happen again. Because the hadith has already come true in all its details.
7. Halley’s comet, described in the hadith as traveling “from east to west,” came closest to the earth in 1986, (1406 according to the Islamic calendar.)
for the relevant hadiths)
Since it is impossible, as those who make this claim suggest, for Halley’s Comet, a bright and shining star that passes by the Earth once every 76 years, to suddenly change course and pass by the earth again in another century, their claim is invalid.
8. A terrible massacre took place in the Kaaba in 1979 (1 Muharram, 1400 according to the Islamic calendar). This date is the first day of the year 1400. Thirty people lost their lives in the incident. In the hadith, our Prophet (saas) refers to such a significant event occurring in “the year that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear.”
The term “the year that Hazrat Mahdi (as) appears” is highly significant. Because both this incident and the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) indicate the year 1979. Seven years after this incident that took place in 1979, another bloody incident occurred. This time 402 people were killed. But in contrast to the first incident, this one took place alongside the Kaaba rather than inside it. These two are in complete agreement with the description given in the hadith of “an attack on the Kaaba and blood shed from the Kaaba” cited as a portent of the appearance of Hazrat Mahdi (as).
Since the year 1400 has passed, those who claim that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear in some other century that these hadith and all the other hadith revealed as signs of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) will ever all happen again.
9. The hadith refers to “a fire being seen from the east” as a portent of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as).
(For details see: http://www.awaitedmahdi.com/signs/signs009.html)
Following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1991, the Kuwaiti oil wells were set ablaze, and a huge fire covered Kuwait and the Gulf of Basra. Various details are provided about this fire in the hadith, described as being seen from the east, such as; “the fire being smothered” and “the fire covering people as a terrible torment, burning and destroying property, and being spread by the wind like a cloud across the world...” All the details provided point to this incident that happened in 1991.
10. The “dusty, smoky, dark corruption” described in the hadith as another portent of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) refers to the September 11, 2001, terror attack in the USA. Our Prophet (saas) relates this hadith in the words:
A dusty, smoky, dark corruption will be seen, and this will follow the others...
A huge smoke cloud arose following the huge explosions of the September 11 attacks, rising high and spreading far enough both to cover the city and also to be seen from other towns around. In addition, the clouds of smoke that grew up as the buildings collapsed also entirely covered people. This huge terror attack heralding the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) was perpetrated in this century, together with all the other portents. Those people who claim that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear in another century cannot explain how this incident took place with all the other portents as a single whole.
11. One of the portents of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) is the hadith describing how the rulers of Sham and Egypt will be killed before his coming.”
The inhabitants of Egypt and Sham will kill their ruler and his commands...
This hadith speaks of certain heads of state in the Middle East and Africa being killed before the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as).
This hadith came true with the killing of a number of leaders, including former Syrian President Salah Al-Deen Beetar in 1920, Syrian Prime Minister Droubi Pasha in 1921, Syrian Prime Minister Muhsin al-Barazi in 1949, King Abdullah of Jordan in 1951. Former King Abdul Kassim of Iraq, killed during a coup by the Iraqi Air Force in 1963 and Falangist leader Beshir Jamayel, killed in a bomb attack in Lebanon in 1982. It will be utterly meaningless for those who maintain that Hazrat Mahdi’s appearance will come in another century to claim that these events that herald the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) and have happened one by one to occur again and with al the other signs.
12. One of the portents of the appearance of Hazrat Mahdi (as) is the invasion of Azerbaijan. On 20 January, 1990, the Azeri territory of Nagorno Karabagh was occupied by the Armenians, during the course of which many Azeri Muslims were martyred. The hadith takes the form “... A FIRE WILL CERTAINLY EMERGE FROM AZERBAIJAN. And nothing will be able to stand in its way. When this happens, stay in your homes...”
(For details see:
How do those who claim that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will appear in a subsequent century as opposed to this one explain this and other hadith in terms of a later century? It is impossible for them to explain such a completely unequivocal occurrence.
13. The hadith note that there will be great acts of terror in the region after the stopping of the waters of the Euphrates and that a large number of people will lose their lives. And the PKK [Kurdistan Workers’ Party] terror began in the region after the severing of the waters of the River Euphrates, resulting in the deaths of many people. On the other hand, a huge economic potential arose in the region in the wake of the waters of the Euphrates being stopped by the dams constructed on them, and land prices in the area rose. All these things show that the hadith related by our Prophet (saas) has come about:
"The waters of the River Euphrates will retract and a mountain of gold will emerge from under them; people will fight to acquire this and ONLY ONE out of EVERY HUNDRED will survive. Doomsday will not take place until this time comes.”
Therefore, those who claim that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will not come this century are doing so by ignoring this situation, which still applies today and has taken place in line with the hadith.
14. One very distinguishing portent of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) and one reported by Imam Rabbani is the appearance of a double-ended star resembling a horn. This star is the comet Lulin, which came closest to the earth on 24 February, 2009. The comet is described as follows in the hadith:
" When Abbasi Malik arrives at Khorasan, one of the signs of the coming of the promised Mahdi, A DOUBLE-TOOTHED LIGHT SHEDDING HORN WILL APPEAR IN THE EAST."
The comet Lulin, which was expected to pass by in thousands of years’ time, fully matches this description in the hadith.
( For details see:
Those who deny the fact that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will come in 1400 and say he will appear in some other century are very definitely unable to account for this portent having come about. The fact that this comet, which completely matches our Prophet’s (saas) descriptions, should have passed by the Earth in the End Times is exceedingly important. In addition, scientists say it will be at least another 1000 yearsbefore this comet passes by the Earth again.
(Web sites which describe scientifically how the comet Lulin passes the Earth once every 1000 years, and how it will therefore be another 1000 years before it comes by again:
This date equates to around the year 3000 AD. But our Prophet (saas) says that the life of his Ummah will come to an end around 1500 (by the Islamic calendar), and Said Nursi states that the Day of Reckoning will befall the deniers in around 1545. Looked at in the light of these statements, there can be no question of the comet Lulin, one of the portents of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as), ever being seen again after this century .
15. The appearance of a sign in the Sun is also cited in the hadith as a portent of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as):
"He [Hazrat Mahdi (as)] will not come unless a sign emerges out of the Sun.
The greatest solar explosion ever observed took place in November 2003, or 1430 according to the Islamic calendar. The fact that such a great explosion took place in the century we are living in and was covered in the press under such headlines as “THE GREATEST SOLAR EXPLOSION EVER...” shows that yet another of the portents of the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) has come true.
16. In the hadith, our Prophet (saas) speaks of a major economic crisis prior to the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as). Several hadith describe how “people will complain of low earnings, stagnation in the markets and stagnation in business” as well as other economic difficulties.
( For details see:
The hadiths in question are in complete agreement with the great economic crisis going on at the moment across the world. Major economies such as those of America, China and Germany have suffered serious losses, while world-famous giant companies, banks and industries have collapsed because of the crisis. This important hadith of the End Times has also now come about.
17. One of the portents about the coming of Hazrat Mahdi (as) concerns a powerful earthquake reported to take place in Italy. The hadith states that a major earthquake will strike Italy and damage the walls of the Vatican.
...Hazrat Mahdi (as) and his students will...capture Rome with tasbih (praise Allah) and takbir (declaration of the greatness of Allah) of Allah’s greatness...THE WALLS OF THAT CITY [THE VATICAN] WILL COLLAPSE... [BY AN EARTHQUAKE] ..."
Another of the portents regarding the appearance of Hazrat Mahdi (as) reported in the hadith came about with the earthquake that struck Italy on 6 April, 2009. Those who maintain that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will be coming at a later time ignore this major earthquake in Italy that damaged the walls of the Vatican.
18. On 15 November, 1979 (in 1400 according to the Islamic calendar), the world’s fourth largest tanker, the 150,000 gross ton Romanian Independenta ran aground following an accident as it came to Istanbul, the last center of the Islamic world. The sound of the great explosion that resulted terrified the citizens of Istanbul. The tanker blazed for several days before finally sinking in front of Haydarpaşa.
(For detailed information see:
It is revealed in another hadith handed down from our Prophet (saas) that:
Abu Ja`far ibn Muhammad ibn Ali (ra) narrated: “WHEN YOU SEE A FLAME RISE IN THE EAST FOR THREE OR SEVEN DAYS, THEN WAIT FOR THE EMERGENCE OF AL-I MUHAMMAD [HAZRAT MAHDI (AS)]; Allah will speak from the sky the name of the Mahdi and everybody, whether in the east or the west, even asleep will hear that voice and wake up."
The information provided in the hadith reveals that this event will take place during the days of Hazrat Mahdi’s (as) arrival in Istanbul, the scene of his appearance. We are told that Hazrat Mahdi (as) will come to Istanbul to the accompaniment of a great noise like thunder, a giant fire that burns for days on end, a cloud of light and smoke and occasional explosions.
Those who harbor the idea that Hazrat Mahdi (as) did not come in 1400 (Islamic calendar) and will appear in some other century instead cannot ignore the historic and sequential harmony between this and all the other hadith concerned.